Thursday 21 October 2010

What is Culture?

Our first weeks reading was very interesting, I didn’t do so well with the 24 page essay but I could really understand what the authors of ‘Cultural Approaches’ were trying to inform. When I read Chapter 2 Subcultures, cultures and class from the book ‘Cultural Approaches’ written by John Clarke, Stuart Hall, Tony Jefferson and Brian Roberts it explained to me already much of what I already know, they said
“We understand the word ‘culture’ to refer to that level at which social groups develop distinct patterns of life”
This is true in to aspect of religion and ethnicity, I will refer the social groups for my example as Muslims, I know they have somewhat of what I’d call a strict culture, to explain my views I know that they have to pray regularly in their own way, have their own diets, religion, clothing, Quran and building of prayer- the Mosque. They also have expectations for their children; to have no sex before marriage, arrange marriages, to be heterosexual, provide children and provide for their care in their old age.  This religion is an excellent way to explain culture because Muslims are known to have kept their culture strong through descendants, countries and centuries.
The authors of ‘Cultural Approaches’ on page 49 believed that there were three different levels of culture, these being “lived culture of a particular time and place” which I believe to mean if you lived in that era then you were included e.g. if I were a flower child in the 60’s the prime of the hippy era, in my opinion one of the best decades on behalf of culture. I myself cannot now get involved in that culture because its 50 years too late, although we have still some hippies out there continuing this lifestyle and culture.
 They also said if you read a book from the 1950’s you could only appreciate, understand, and relate to it if you were living in that era, a present person who reads all the books from that decade could not even understand it to the extent the people who lived at that period can, I understand what they are trying to convey. Let’s just say I was a soldier during the 1066 Battle of Hastings and I wrote a novel based on my experience there, then fast forward almost a millennia and I handed the book to a soldier that just came back from Iraq, although the book was translated to what he could understand he could never recognize or relate his experience to it, this is because time has changed war, weaponry and our rights. Secondly they said “there is the recorded culture of every kind” this can refer to music, art, sculptures. Thirdly “the factor connecting lived culture and period culture, the culture of selective traditions” in my opinion this means cultures that have existed between history and present times. There is a culture present although some may not realise that they are involved e.g. the working class culture “working class kids get working-class jobs-again and again, routinely, regularly, repeatedly and predictably”.

Quotes: Cultural Approaches’ Chapter 2 Subcultures, Cultures and Class written by John Clarke, Stuart Hall, Tony Jefferson and Brian Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment